After plugging an external device like a USB drive or a flash drive or any external hard drive into the Mac computers some users receive an issue ‘The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer’ error on Mac.
Now, some of the users report that this kind of issue ‘The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer’ error occurs with every external device connected to the computer whereas some other users report that this error message is received only through one external device. Mostly the issue is faced with Mac OS where the error message ‘The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer’ occurs.
The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer [Solved 100%]
Reasons for the disk that is not readable on Mac system:
- Failure of the disk: The USB interface or the disk may be failed. In this case, the solution for data recovery should opt.
- Disk is formatted: If the disk is not formatted or if the disk is not supported by the Mac OS then this error occurs.
- Sometimes, the disk is not readable due to some virus infection in the disk.
- The error may also arise due to some hardware issues in the computer system.
- The catalog file corruption may cause this error message on the system.
- Due to some internal file system errors the disk is not readable on the Mac system.
Fix 1: Check and determine whether the disk has any problem
1. Check whether the disk is encrypted: If the user receives an error message of ‘The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer’ then there are generally three options after inserting an encrypted drive, that initializes, ignore and eject. Choose the ignore option to open the software.
If the unreadable disk is encrypted by Bitlocker or APFS file system then try Bitlocker Loader or M3 Mac Data Recovery to recover data for Mac system on Mac OS.
2. Check whether the disk is supported by Mac OS or not: The file system of the external drive must be checked with the Mac OS whether it is supported by it or not. The reason can be the device inserted is not readable and compatible with Mac and not supported by it.
3. Check whether the inserted disk is a new drive: If the disk inserted is a new disk then after receiving the error message of ‘The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer’ go for the initialize option as after initializing the new disk on the Mac system the data can be stored further for use.
4. The disk should be checked on other computer systems: The disk should be inserted in other Mac systems to know whether the error continues or not. If it continues then go for the other listed solutions below.
5. Change the USB cable and the USB Port: Often, there is something wrong with the USB port or the USB cable which leads to the error message on the system. By changing the USB cable or the USB Port the issue can be solved.
6. Reset the USB Port of the Mac system: If the user is sure that the issue is arising due to the USB port and not by the device then the user must reset the Mac SMC depending on the Mac hardware.
Fix 2: Re-insert the drive in the Mac System
Try to re-connect the hard drive on the Mac system by removing the drive safely from the Mac system and then re-plug it into the computer.
Fix 3: Mac drivers should be updated
The error of ‘The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer’ may arise from due to outdated drivers on the Mac system. The drivers should be checked and updated with the latest updates.
Apple Menu – > System Preferences -> Software Update -> Check for available updates for the system and applications -> Update the system.
Comment below if you have any type of queries in the below comment box.