If are you looking for the best free video player for Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7 PCs then you are on the right page. Today, there is plenty of content available on different mediums and platforms for watching.
Entertainment has always been a key part of livelihoods since the time of operas and theatres. While these continue to exist, with the growth of technology and modernization, forms of entertainment evolved too.
Despite the availability of a default video player for Windows 11 / 10 PC, third-party media players are still in demand due to their customization options and enhanced features.
In this guide, we will enlighten you on the best media player apps that you can download for your Windows PC.
What is Video Player Software
Media player programs are enabled with the ability to play multimedia computer files which include video and audio files both. Media players are of different kinds with varied features. Video players are designed to play digital video files.
These programs might also be enabled with other features like screen mirroring, rotating, cropping, appearance and acoustics adjustment, cloning, equalizing, and deinterlacing.
10 Best Video Player for Windows 11, 10, 8 & 7 PC
We have tried and tested several video players for windows pc and listed down the top among them.
1. VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is a decent video player app because it supports innumerable video file formats and streaming protocols. An open-source project of VideoLAN, a non-profit organization, VLC Media Player is quite easy to use.
The VLC Media Player is a complete free video player for Windows 11/ 10 pc.
Impressive Features of VLC Media Player:
- Compatible with Windows (64 bit), macOS X, Unix, Linux, iOS, and Android.
- Offers customizations like extension installation, skin addition, and even skin creation with VLC skin editor.
- It plays most codecs like MP3, MP4, MPEG-3, FLV, MKV, etc.
- Supports playing files, discs, live streaming, webcam recording, and videos from other devices.
- Safe to install as it doesn’t contain ads, user trackers, or spyware.
2. CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra
Regarded as the best Blu-Ray, 8K, 4K, HDR 10 media player for Windows, CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra can either be obtained free of cost or by purchasing a lifetime license. You can always utilize the resume playback feature to carry on from the point you left and listen to your favorite tracks anytime and anywhere.
A TrueTheatre experience is facilitated by TrueTheater Color, HDR, and Audio features. CyberLink’s FaceMe engine powers photo management with AI facial recognition and acts as a photo resizing software.
Impressive Features of PowerDVD:
- Supports all major video file formats including MP4, MKV, HEVC, etc.
- Audio support is available for DTS-HD audio, Dolby True HD Audio, Dolby Digital Surround, and Hi-Res.
- Offers immersive viewing experience with 360° video, VR video playback, and spatial audio.
- Supports casting Amazon FireTV, Roku, Apple TV, and Chromecast.
- Offers 100 GB storage on CyberLink Cloud.
3. GOM Media Player
GOM Media Player app is a free video player for Windows 11 / 10 PC from GOM Labs. It is available for both Windows and macOS. For Windows OS, it is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 and for Mac, it is compatible with macOS X 10.1 and later versions. Some interesting features of the app are mentioned below.
Impressive Features of GOM Media Player:
- Supports multiple file formats like MP4, AVI, FLV, WMV, MKV, MOV, ASF, etc.
- You can also find codecs for playing damaged files.
- Interestingly, you get subtitles for all movies right from the evergreen classic collections to the latest releases.
- Offers immersive viewing experience with 360° VR Playback feature.
DivX pioneered the digital video-playing experience and is a known name in the best video player apps category. With over one billion downloads, this video player offers a free as well as pro version. More than 1.5 billion devices already have a license for DivX playback.
If you are looking to play SWF files on pc then you can check the list of best swf players.
Impressive Features of DivX:
- It supports DivX, MKV, AVI, and HEVC files.
- It offers video quality of up to 4K.
- Supports DTS and AC3 premium audio quality.
- Automatically syncs to cloud storage.
5. Pot Player
A free video player for Windows 11 / 10 PC, Pot Player is known to offer the best 3D immersive viewing experience sitting at your home. It also supports various output formats. This tool is also compatible with Windows 8.1/8/7/Vista/XP (32bit and 64bit).
Impressive Features of Pot Player:
- Offers enhanced H/W – acceleration.
- Offers various subtitle formats.
- Allows you to bookmark favorite scenes or chapters.
- Supports multiple devices like DVD, TV, and HDTV.
Plex is another amazing video player for Windows 11 / 10 pc that allows you to play TV shows, movies, personal videos, live TV, and much more seamlessly and conveniently on your PC. Some essential features of this app are mentioned below.
Impressive Features of Plex:
- Offers a huge library with more than 50K on-demand videos.
- Supports Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS platforms.
- Supports numerous streaming devices like Chromecast, Apple TV, computers, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Android TV, and smartphones.
- You can tune in to more than 200 live TV channels.
7. Nvidia 3D Vision Video Player
Nvidia 3D Vision Video Player is another best video player for Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7 PC. It is a lightweight app that facilitates GPU acceleration of 3D videos. It also comes with a command-line control facility.
Additionally, it supports playing 3D video clips with the help of DirectX Video Acceleration.
Impressive Features of 3D Vision Video Player:
- Supports MP4, MPG, m2TS, WMDS, and MTS file formats.
- Allows importing and exporting stereoscopic metafiles.
- Let’s you retrieve videos from stereoscopic servers.
- Offers an in-built video library.
8. Media Monkey
Media Monkey can be your media manager for your Windows PC and Android device. It can manage more than 100,000 audio, video files, audiobooks, podcasts, etc.
Impressive Features of Media Monkey:
- You can play videos from the hard drive, cloud, network, and even CDs.
- Let’s you share music and videos between Windows, Android, Apple devices, and TV.
- You can convert audio and videos of all formats with Media Monkey.
- Offers addons and skins for customization.
Kodi is another incredible video player for windows pc with an interactive interface and a huge library comprising of classic and latest movies that can be accessed from the network.
It also lets you play videos that are locally stored on your Windows PC.
Impressive Features of Kodi:
- Supports video formats like MIDI, MPEG-1, 2, and 4.
- Functions on devices like computers, smartphones, tablets, etc.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and RasberryPi.
- It can import, browse, and play movies and TV shows effortlessly.
Our last pick is MPV, which is a free and open-source media player program licensed under GNU (General Public License). It is a lightweight app and offers the following features.
Impressive Features of MPV:
- It facilitates playing high-quality videos.
- Windows, Mac, and Linux are the three supported platforms.
- Offers a speed controller for videos.
- Offers subtitles.
Note: A home theatre system is a combination of a personal computer with software that is designed to support video streaming, audio playback, and video recording capabilities.
Comparing The Best Video Player For Windows PC To Use in 2022
|Tools Name||Compatibility||Pricing||Version||Owned By|
|VLC Media Player||Windows 11, 10, 8 & 7||Free||3.4.2||VideoLAN|
|CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra||Windows 11, 10, 8.1 & 7||Trial version available||21.0.2106.62||CyberLink Corp.|
|GOM Media Player||Windows 7, XP & Vista||Freeware||2.3.75||Gretech Corporation|
|DivX||Windows 8, 7, Vista & XP||Freemium||10.8.7||DivX|
|Pot Player||Windows 8, 7, Vista & XP||Freeware||2.0.0317||Daum Communications|
|Plex||Windows 10, 8 & 7||Free||188.8.131.526||Plex Inc|
|Nvidia 3D Vision Video Player||Windows 10, 8, 8.1 & 7||Freeware||2.4.3||NVIDIA|
|Media Monkey||Microsoft Windows 8, 7, XP and ME and Android||Trial Version||184.108.40.2061||Ventis Media Inc|
|Kodi||Windows 7 and later, macOS, Android and Linux||Free||19.4||XBMC Foundation|
|MPV||Windows PC||Free and open source||0.34.1||Shinchiro|
Conclusion On Best Video Player For Windows 11 / 10 PC
So, this is all about the video player for Windows 11 / 10 PCs. You can go with any of the above-recommended tools as per your convenience and requirements. While selecting a video player, ensure that they support a good variety of file formats, is easy to use, offers playback resume and speed controller options.
What is the best free video player?
There are many free video players for Windows 10. You can refer to the above blog to learn more about free video player apps in detail.
Is VLC download free?
Yes, VLC is a free video player for Windows 11 / 10 PC. It is a free and open-source video player app by a non-profit organization called VideoLan.
Does Windows 10 have a video player?
Yes, Windows Media Player is a default video player in Windows computers. It has a simple interface and comes with basic features.
What is the safest video player?
VLC Media Player is one of the safest free video player apps for your Windows PC that is available without any adware, spyware, or user trackers.