OneDrive is a utility where you can keep your data and files safe on its dedicated cloud. It has a 5GB space for free where you can sign in to your Microsoft account, and you can connect it with your phone or with any other devices.
When you sign in with your Microsoft account in the OneDrive, it automatically syncs the data and files you have in another device where you have signed in with your Microsoft account.
Sometimes, OneDrive sync doesn’t work correctly, and you face the OneDrive sync not working issue in Windows 10. There can be many reasons why you are facing the problem.
Cause Behind OneDrive Sync Not Working
Microsoft did a great job with the OneDrive syncing feature. In any case, you lose your data on your device; you can get it from the OneDrive, as it is also known as the cloud, which keeps all your files and data safe. There can be times when it appears that OneDrive sync is not working, and you are unable to find out why it is happening. The causes behind the OneDrive sync not working issue is as follows.
- When the OneDrive sync is not working issue happens; maybe there can be a reason that your app is outdated. It is essential to have the new version of the app you are using. The old version of the app can stop syncing your data.
- Another reason behind the issue can be that your cloud is out of storage space. If you don’t have a premium account, you only get 5GB of data to sync in OneDrive. When that amount exceeds, the sync stops working.
- The unreliable connection can also be the other reason behind the OneDrive sync, not working issue.
There are a few reasons, which can cause the OneDrive sync not working problem in Windows 10.
Fix OneDrive sync problems in Windows 10
If there is any problem, which means it has some solution as well. When you face OneDrive is not syncing your data, you can fix it by applying a few methods. We have earlier explained you the few causes which can create the OneDrive not syncing issue. Now we will talk about how you can fix OneDrive sync problems in Windows 10. There are a few methods which you can try to fix the problem you are facing.
1. Re-establish the sync
The first method to solve the OneDrive sync issue is to re-establish it. You can exit the OneDrive app from the desktop and try to sync it again. To know how you can re-establish the sync, you need to follow the instructions below.
- Firstly, right-click on the OneDrive icon.
- From the menu, choose the Exit option to close the app from the desktop.
- Next, restart the computer. By doing it, the OneDrive app will establish the connection again.
Now, you can check if OneDrive is syncing your data. If not, you can jump to the next method and try it.
2. Compress files and folders
If you want to upload the heavy files in the OneDrive, you need to buy its premium plan. If you have it that means you can upload a single file of 10 GB in the cloud you are using. Sometimes, you fail to sync the file because you try to upload bigger files. In that case, you can compress the files and folders you are trying to upload. If any files exceed the limit you have in the cloud, you have one option to compress your data. To know the method, follow the instructions below.
- Right-click on the files you want to compress.
- Select the Add to archive or Send to compressed folder option.
- Choose the type of compression and the limit of the storage of your file.
- After selecting the options, click on the OK button.
When the compression of files and folders ends, you can check if the issue is resolved. The method is one of the most efficient ones to fix OneDrive sync problems in Windows 10.
3. Update Windows
Outdated apps can create common issues that you can face frequently. Updating your Windows is the best option for you to overcome the problem. To know the method, follow the instructions below.
- Open the Control Panel.
- In the control panel, go to the system & security option.
- Next, click on Windows Update.
- In Windows Update, section click on Check for updates.
- The Windows will start scanning all your apps that need an update.
After scanning, if you get the OneDrive app needs an update; Windows will give you a chance to do it. You can check if you can fix the OneDrive sync problem in Windows 10.
4. Connect OneDrive to Windows manually.
The next method you can try to fix the OneDrive sync problem in Windows 10 is to connect the app to Windows manually. When the issue is related, you can face the problem you are having with the OneDrive app. To know how you can overcome the problem, follow the instructions below.
- First of all, go to your Windows settings.
- Click on the Accounts section.
- Next, click on Email & App accounts.
- Now, click on the Add your account option.
- You can add your OneDrive account to Windows manually.
- On the next window, fill in the credentials of your OneDrive account.
- In the first bar, put your email, and in another bar, fill in your password.
Here you will connect your OneDrive account to Windows manually and fix the OneDrive sync problem in Windows 10.
5. Switch off the office upload
The last method you can try is to switch off the office upload. The automatic office upload can raise the issue of the OneDrive sync not working problem. To know the method, follow the instructions below.
Go to Microsoft OneDrive’s settings option.
- In settings, choose the Office tab.
- Next, uncheck the “Use office 2016 to sync Office files that I open” option.
- Click on the OK button.
Hence, it will switch off the office upload, and you can fix the OneDrive sync problem in Windows 10.