A web companion is an unwanted file that tags upto your system as an extension often knowingly or unknowingly.
What is Web Companion from Lavasoft?
The Lavasoft web companion is one such program that is often downloaded by individuals considering its ability to make web searching more secure. But that is not how it works and usually, there are a lot of loopholes that develop in your system over a period.
Lavasoft uses the insecure HTTP extension compared to the now prescribed HTTPS version. Hijacking of browsers, erroneous installations, and unofficial data tracking get activated in your device.
Earlier known as SSL Komodia digestor, it is known to take over your browser, decrypts encrypted messages, and allow advertisements into these areas without the knowledge of the user.
People are also unaware that their data gets sold to third parties and other vendors without even intimidating or filtering the data type.
This is how it usually happens- either by chance or knowingly a user permits installation of the Lavasoft web companion going by its promise that there will be browsing security available with it.
- Post giving permission creates a start point at registration which allows the auto start of your system whenever you turn on the reboot tab.
- A Windows service starts running on your Windows background without ever stopping on its own.
- If you try to stop it manually, the service malfunctions. The only thing that you can do is delay the start of the program using the service manager.
- The Windows task scheduler gets a scheduled task added that helps in launching the program at scheduled times.
- The primary file to look for is known as the Lavasoft.AdAware.dll with the program starting package containing almost 58 files summing up to a file size of almost 11.75 MB. It is usually known to target mainly the Windows 7 and Windows 10 operating systems currently.
Mostly when giving permission people fail to read the terms and conditions mentioned in the Lavasoft rule book. It clearly states that by checking the box, you agree and permit to share data with any third party via Lavasoft.
If you have detected it in your system and have faced issues indicated in this post above, you might be thinking of getting rid of it. But, how exactly can you get rid of the file? The file can be removed from the system by following the processes mentioned below.
How to remove Lavasoft web Companion
If you plan to remove your Lavasoft web companion, use these steps as given here.
1. Use the Add or Remove program feature
- Go to the Start Menu and from the control panel, click on the Find Program option from the Windows operating system control panel.
- For Windows 7 and 10, search the program from the list.
- Click on the Program name to start the uninstall process. To uninstall it, you can either press the uninstall tab that appears on the program bar or right click on the program name to uninstall the program.
- Choose the Yes option for the confirmation pop up and wait for the uninstallation process to complete.
You must get past the program to ensure your system’s safety is restored. Even though the program is useful in detecting harmful and malicious malware, yet, it is compromising your system’s safety and security enormously.
Uninstalling is the best possible course of action that you can take currently to protect your system and devices from potential harm.
2. Use malware detection and removal tools
Use any of the Malware detection and removal tools to trace the unwanted programs only to remove them from the device.
Install one of these malware detections and removal tools and then scan your system’s files and compartments for adware, PUPS (potentially unwanted programs), and even browser hijackers.
3. Reset Google Chrome and Firefox
Resetting Google Chrome and Firefox are other foolproof options that can be safely used by you.
Here’s how you can reset Google Chrome and Firefox.
For resetting the Google Chrome option, you must go through the below steps.
- From Google Chrome, click on the three dots and choose More Tools and further go to the Extensions option.
- Check if you have a plugin by the name: Installed by enterprise policy or Installed by your administrator, go ahead and remove them.
- Go back to your Settings and then the Advanced option, press the Reset tab.
- The start page, browser settings, and even the new tab page will reset to their default settings.
For Firefox, you can follow the below steps;
1. There are two ways to troubleshoot this issue.
a. From the Mozilla Firefox settings tab, choose the Troubleshooting information option.
b. You can also command it by typing about-support in your internet browser address bar.
2. From the upper right-hand corner of your Firefox page, press the Refresh Firefox tab.
3. Once done, all your Firefox settings will restore to the default settings and the process can help greatly in removing PUPS, malware, and other such unwarranted files.
If you have a Lavasoft web companion installed in your system, do consider the risks and weigh them appropriately with the benefits. If you can, remove them from your device and make room for a cleaner, safer and non-compromised environment.
Should I uninstall Web Companion by Lavasoft?
Given the risks of retaining such a program, try to uninstall the web companion by Lavasoft.
Is Lavasoft a virus?
The Lavasoft web companion is not a virus but a spyware and malware detection software, however, it can compromise your system’s data in innumerable ways as discussed above.
Is Adaware Web companion a virus?
No, the Adaware web companion is definitely not a virus.
What happens if I uninstall Web Companion?
It will be for your good that you must uninstall the web companion software, however, take care that it does not hinder your system’s speed. Use appropriate ways of uninstallation to remove the Lavasoft web companion from your device.
Is Web Companion good or bad?
It is neither good nor bad but a program that can act maliciously towards your system. Therefore, it is important to weigh the pros and cons carefully before deciding to retain the software in your device.