Snapchat has focused on the idea of the mobile-first direction of social media and is more popular amongst the youth. Snapchat facilitates instant messaging and is also loved for its highly interactive virtual stickers, augmented reality objects, and a wide range of interesting filters.
One key feature of Snapchat is that users sharing photos and messages with others are available for viewing only for 24 hours and are deleted afterward automatically. With 293 Million daily active users, Snapchat users often wonder if there is a way to recover deleted Snapchat messages if they delete conversations by mistake.
So, if you are wondering about the same, then here is a complete guide for you to retrieve your deleted Snapchat conversations.
6 Ways to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages
Retrieving deleted data from Snapchat is easy with the help of the below given six methods.
1. Submit a data request to Snapchat
To recover deleted Snapchat messages from the Snapchat My Data page, you can use the below steps:
1. Go to the Snapchat My Data page and log in to your account.
- Choose the option of deleted messages and click on the “submit recover request” button.
- Once you have successfully submitted the request, after this, you will receive an email with a download link.
- Once you click the download link, it will take you back to the My Data page where you will find a mydata.zip file.
- Once you download the zip file, you can then extract it on your device.
- Click the mydata folder and open the index.html file to view the deleted messages.
2. Retrieve from cache
Your device stores Snapchat data and you can easily retrieve it from your device with the help of the following steps:
- Connect your Android device to the computer using a USB cable.
- Next, open the below-given location to go to the Snapchat cache folder.
Android > Data > com.snapchat.android.
- Here you will find all the deleted messages.
- Now choose the messages you want to retrieve and press the recover option.
3. Recover from File Manager
The Snapchat data that you delete remains stored in your device’s internal storage under the .nomedia extension. So, you recover deleted Snapchat messages from this extension by following the below steps:
- Download and install File Manager on your Android phone. For iPhones, you need to root the device and then use the file manager app.
- Now open the com.snapchat.android folder from Android/data// location.
- After this, find the .nomedia extension and rename every file by removing the .nomedia extension.
- Now you will be able to view all files with their thumbnails.
- Further, you can recover the deleted messages.
4. Recover messages on iOS devices
There are two ways to recover deleted Snapchat messages from your iOS devices; one way is to use the FoneLab tool and the other way is to retrieve it via the Snapchat Message Recovery tool.
Use the FoneLab tool:
- Install the FoneLab tool on Windows PC or Macbook.
- Connect the iOS device to your PC via a USB cable.
- Further, press the Start Scan button once your phone enters the “Recovery from iOS device” mode.
- Once the scanning is done, you can choose the “Snapchat messages” section from the menu.
- Now choose the deleted message that you wish to recover and tap the recover button.
- Finally, you need to choose the destination folder where the deleted data will be retrieved.
Use the Advanced Message Recovery Software:
- Connect your iOS device to your computer after downloading the Snapchat Message Recovery app on your PC.
- This will send your device to the data recovery mode.
- After this, scan the device for deleted messages and then select the deleted messages that you want to recover.
- Finally, click the recover button and also the destination folder. Wait for some time till the data recovery process completes.
5. Take help of the Dumpster tool
Dumpster is a deleted data, photo, and video recovery app for Android devices. It acts like a recycle bin for Android devices. It backs up all kinds of data on your Android device and stores it in the cloud. This app can store all the deleted data on your Android device and; therefore, recover almost everything that you wiped off purposely or accidentally. All deleted items appear on the app and are retrievable easily. The best part about the app is that it can work even without an internet connection and there is no need for device rooting.
You can simply download the app from Google Play Store and then activate it for Snapchat media.
6. Save your messages
It is always better to remain proactive and save your messages in advance. This will help you to have a backup of your messages and it is better than deleting them. You can follow the easy steps given below:
- Launch your Snapchat app and then swipe right to go to the chat section.
- After this, choose the chat conversation that you want to save.
- Now, press and hold the chat and click the “Save in Chat” option.
- After this, the message will get saved and will appear in gray color. When you save someone’s message, the recipient also knows that you have saved their message.
Conclusion On How to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages
So, after learning the six effective ways to recover deleted Snapchat messages, you could hopefully retrieve your chats whenever you need them. Snapchat houses your data on your device and users can use a .nomedia extension or third-party apps, online tools, etc. to retrieve your deleted data.
How to recover Snapchat messages after 24 hours?
If you want to retrieve deleted Snapchat messages after 24 hours, then you can either try requesting your account data or else recover it from your device with the help of a .nomedia extension. Alternatively, you can try using third-party apps or online tools too.
How to recover Snapchat messages after being blocked?
You can use third-party tools for this purpose.
How to recover Snapchat messages without a computer?
You can use a data recovery tool for Android devices if you don’t have a computer to recover deleted Snapchat messages.